Friday, March 18, 2011

okay, i took a risk.

so i have been inspired. the nester challenged everyone to take a risk in their home. i agree with her that people are too safe too often. she is part of why i started this blog. i wanted my home to look a certain way, but i wasn't doing very much in it for a couple reasons. one is because i don't have very much money. she helped me see that it doesn't really take THAT much money. you can do lots of things in your home for pretty cheap if you have the guts to try it and do things yourself. this was my second roadblock. i didn't have the guts until she inspired me. i think my place looked okay and everything, but it wasn't totally what i wanted. if i could have had my home any way i wanted it, it wouldn't have been the way it was before this inspiration found me. i would change tons of things. so why was i living with it while not being happy with it? i don't know. i was afraid to take a risk and try something new. until i realized it doesn't matter if the risk doesn't pay off. then i will just try something else until i get it right. not a crisis situation, jess. sheesh.
i think another part of the reason though is that my mom and my sister both have good eyes for decorating and creating a beautiful space. i would like to think i have some of that too, but i wasn't really pushing myself to really commit to that because i was afraid of what they would think of my space. what if they don't like it? what if they hate the colors? what if the layout looks weird to them? will they make fun of me for getting curtain panels from wal-mart? blah. blah. blah. i now realize, thanks to the nester, that it doesn't matter what they think. (i know, novel idea, right?) but this is MY space. for ME and MY husband. not that i will never ask their opinions or talk things over with them because i really respect things they say... but this isn't their home. at the end of the day they leave and i have to live here. so what works best for me and my family? what looks the best to me? if my mom would do it differently, well that's fine. we can have a difference of opinion and both still be right. i have plenty of time and opportunities to switch things up as i get older and mature. spaces are constantly changing and they should change with you. i don't want to decorate my home now for when i'm 40. it should reflect me for who i am now and the best place for my family, NOW. gee. i feel so free to take risks now! i feel a new freedom to do whatever i like now and it is just. great. i am myself and i like what i like. yessss : )
NOW. all that being said.. this is the risk i took. i made a coffee filter wreath. i got the idea from my new favorite nester here and fell madly in love. i knew i had to have this. one major problem. i am not craft-y. not really. i have been able to do some things, but crafts basically scare me. i have been doing them wrong since elementary school. i hate when it turns out looking worse than other peoples' projects. but nester said take risks, i really wanted this wreath and it seemed like a pretty low commitment risk (only costing me about $10).. so i jumped. well. turns out i did it "wrong" haha. now, i am really taking another risk showing you my wreath after showing you hers, so here goes:


i made the coffee filters going a different way than she did. it makes hers looks fluffier and i like that a little better.. but i still like mine. i think it looks pretty cool and not made out of coffee filters. that's for sure. i am just happy i took the risk because even though it isn't perfect, i still really really like it and i think it looks lovely in my room. : ) risk = paid off.

10 comments:

  1. COOL! look at you little crafty mccrafterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started following your blog, and I love it! You made me want to follow in your steps and take more risks in decorating my house. I was just like you...worried about what others thought about my decor and hesitant about doing something different or creative, but like you said it's your house and you are the one living it so as long as you like it, it doesn't matter! Sorry to ramble but it really hit home with me what you were saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so awesome! i'm so glad you said that! that's exactly why i shared all that because i got inspired by hearing something similar, so i thought maybe it would inspire other people. i'm so glad it did!! i want to see the things you do in your home too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job taking a risk like you did...keep on keepin' on, girl! I love the wreath:)

    Blessings,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came to the same realization and decided to paint my kitchen green over the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no wrong, I was just thinking how innovative you were to glue all your filters the same way! Mine are just stuck every which way with no thought but yours looks like a classy sophisticated wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your take on the Nester's wreath - it looks super classy and voluminous. I, too started a blog to motivate myself to tackle home decor but the Nester has been my greatest inspiration to take risks and decorate beautifully, yet frugally. I hope you keep taking risks because I love your latest one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your wreath looks fabulous! Keep up the good work. It's so great to see someone else's trials & triumphs...very encouraging.
    Crystal @ theweekendhomaker.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks wonderful! Well done :D

    ReplyDelete

If you've stopped by, please leave a comment to let me know! I love hearing from you!